October 9, 2006 Welcome to the October 1. 2006 workshop participants. Back from left: Angela Truffa, Errin Turner, Jung Ju Lee, David Hutchens and Alfonso Elia. Front from left: Stanford Mandizha and Ilaria Ferraboli. [Photo & text: sa]
Viacom is preparing to launch a raft of Paramount movie channels internationally and the first launch will be in Spain. In the wake of its quarterly results, Viacom CEO Philippe Dauman told analysts that the company is preparing to launch channels programmed with content from Paramount Pictures globally. “I think very rapidly in the next two to three years, you will see in many, many, many countries Paramount channels. The first will be in Spain,” he said. “We have several others lined up. There’s a lot of demand for the library movie channels and of course, Paramount is an exceptional library and brand. So I see a lot of opportunity in emerging markets with opening them up and opportunities in existing markets to launch more of our brands.”Viacom announced last April that Michael Armstrong had been upped to senior vice-president and general manager, BET International and Paramount Pictures Channels, with a remit to expand BET’s presence in global markets and to launch Paramount Pictures. Spain is the first confirmed Paramount Pictures launch although Dauman did not specify timing.Paramount Pictures will be an international brand. In its domestic US market its content is screened on the Epix cable channel. Its current slate includes Hugo and The Adventures of Tintin, although a large number of new titles will be taken by free and pay TV channels that have output deals with the studio. Library fare includes the Star Trek movies as well as Friday the 13th, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Beverly Hills Cop.The news of the Spanish Paramount Pictures launch came as parent company Viacom reported first-quarter results. Year on year net earnings in the quarter dropped 65%, taking the total to US$212 million (€161 million). The company blamed the effects of a lawsuit relating to the Rock Band video game and soft ratings at its kids network Nickelodeon for the slump. Overall revenue in the quarter was US$3.9 billion compared with US$3.8 billion a year earlier.
Atlice has abandoned its attempt to acquire the leading Portuguese broadcaster and production group Media Capital in the face of lack of progress to secure regulatory approval of the deal.Altice said that, one year after signing the contract and with no outcome of the regulatory process in site, it was calling time on the merger.Altice has been trying to secure a green light from the Portuguese competition authority, the Autoridade da Concorrencia (AdC), for the acquisition of Prisa’s majority stake in Media Capital in the face of hositility from politicians, other operators and media groups in the country.The telecom giant, which owns the former PT Telecom/Meo telecom operator in Portugal, said that the decision to call a halt came after the contractual deadline for the agreement between it and Prisa was extended for two months in April to allow further time to secure approval from the antitrust watchdog.Altice laid the blame for the collapse of the merger squarely on the regulator. It said that it had proactively set out remedies in line with European Industry practice in the sectore but had encountered a “complete lack of openness” on the part of the AdC, despite both parties to the agreement being initially “confident of a positive assessment”.Atlice said that the AdC had not taken the necessary decisions to enable the impelemtnation of the agreement in a timely manner. It said that it had presented a comprehensive set of long-term commitments that could be monitored by an independent trustee, including the separation of various business areas, ensuring the TVI channel was avaialable to competing platforms at a far and non-discriminatory price and renunciation of exclusivity regarding conent.The telecom group said that “an opportunity has been lost” to create an integrated media and telecom company in Portugal that could compete with international digital giants, and pointed to the US court decision on the AT&T-Time Warner deal as evidience for the case that consolidation is vital if traditional media companies are going to survive competition with internet companies.The AdC initially opened its in-depth probe into the merger in February, after concluding that there was evidence that it could give rise to “significant impediments to competition” in several markets.
France’s competition watchdog has decided to maintain certain obligations imposed on pay TV outfit Canal+ at the time of authorising the latter’s acquisition of French overseas territories telecom operator Mediaserv in 2014.The Autorité de la Concurrence is to maintain a number of obligations placed on the pay TV operator, which had initially been imposed for a five-year period, including a requirement to make its services available to other operators.The regulator has ruled that Canal+ will be obliged to treat Canal+ Telecom/Mediaserv and other internet service providers on the basis of equality because of the risk that the pay TV outfit could make its content available exclusively to its own subsidiary, or make it available to its subsidiary at more favourable terms than were available to rivals.The watchdog gave Canal+ relief on some of its obligations, including giving it the ability to bundle its internet offering with Canal+ International’s programming offer.The regulator conditionally approved Canal+ Overseas’ acquisition of a 51% stake in Mediaserv, the main alternative telecom operator in Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guiana and Reunion, in 2014.
“The man, in his late sixties, was approached from behind by three teenage males. “He was struck to the back of the head by one of the males who also grabbed his cap. “I would appeal to anyone with information, or who noticed anything suspicious in the area at that time, to contact police in Strabane on 101, quoting reference number 1470 of 25/07/19. Alternatively, information can be provided to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, which is 100% anonymous and gives people the power to speak up and stop crime. ShareTweet POLICE investigating an assault on a man yesterday are appealing for witnesses. The attack happened in the Melvin Road area of StrabaneInspector Patton said: “We received a report of an assault on the male on the Melvin Road area of Strabane around 4.30 pm yesterday (Thursday 25th July). Teen males hunted after man in his 60s assaulted was last modified: July 26th, 2019 by John2John2 Tags: Inspector PattonMELVIN ROADPolicePSNIstrabaneTeen males hunted after man in his 60s assaulted