Panaji/New Delhi: A case of rape and criminal intimidation was registered against a swimming coach by the Goa police on Thursday and a search was on to arrest him, officials said. Surajit Ganguly, a coach once employed by the Goa Swimming Association (GSA), is accused of molesting a 15- year-old girl who was training under him. “We have launched a search operation to track down the accused. Last we know is that he had left for Bhopal,” Deputy Superintendent of Police Gajanan Prabhudesai told PTI. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’ He said police have formed multiple teams to arrest the coach. A video of the alleged molestation incident had gone viral on social media earlier, prompting Union Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju to promise a stringent action. A case under IPC sections 376 (rape), 354 (molestation) and 506 (criminal intimidation), as well as under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO) and Goa Children’s Act was registered against Ganguly, said inspector Kapil Nayak of the Mapusa police station in Goa. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&K The Goa Swimming Association sacked Ganguly after the the video surfaced. “…we terminated Surajit’s contract immediately after watching the video. Both the girl and coach are from (West) Bengal,” GSA secretary Syed Abdul Majid told PTI. Ganguly was appointed by the GSA about two-and-a-half years ago at its Mapusa indoor swimming training facility. “We appointed him because he had a good track record as a coach. There were no prior complaints (of misbehaviour) against him,” Majid added. In 2017, the Goa Legislative Assembly had passed a resolution congratulating him and other coaches for bringing “pride and glory to swimming and diving sports and to the state” in the 63rd National Games. On Wednesday, based on the girl’s statement, the Kolkata police lodged a complaint against Ganguly, and transferred it to their counterparts in Goa. Rijiju said he had asked the Swimming Federation of India to ensure that Ganguly was not employed anywhere in the country. “I’ve taken a strong view of the incident. The Goa Swimming Association has terminated the contract of coach Surajit Ganguly. “I’m asking the Swimming Federation of India to ensure that this coach is not employed anywhere in India. This applies to all Federations & disciplines,” he tweeted.
Here’s your chance to meet The Script at an upcoming US show of your choice.A new charity auction benefiting Musicians on Call is giving you the chance to meet the three Irishmen who are as direct – as impassioned – as their songs.The Script’s fourth album, No Sound Without Silence, is the sound of a band firing on all cylinders and channeling the momentum of their last, rocket-powered campaign. They finished touring #3 at the end of last year, took a scant couple of weeks off, then quickly re-entered their studios in London and Dublin.Musicians on Call brings ive and recorded music to the bedsides of patients in healthcare facilities.To make a bid, click here.
Viacom is preparing to launch a raft of Paramount movie channels internationally and the first launch will be in Spain. In the wake of its quarterly results, Viacom CEO Philippe Dauman told analysts that the company is preparing to launch channels programmed with content from Paramount Pictures globally. “I think very rapidly in the next two to three years, you will see in many, many, many countries Paramount channels. The first will be in Spain,” he said. “We have several others lined up. There’s a lot of demand for the library movie channels and of course, Paramount is an exceptional library and brand. So I see a lot of opportunity in emerging markets with opening them up and opportunities in existing markets to launch more of our brands.”Viacom announced last April that Michael Armstrong had been upped to senior vice-president and general manager, BET International and Paramount Pictures Channels, with a remit to expand BET’s presence in global markets and to launch Paramount Pictures. Spain is the first confirmed Paramount Pictures launch although Dauman did not specify timing.Paramount Pictures will be an international brand. In its domestic US market its content is screened on the Epix cable channel. Its current slate includes Hugo and The Adventures of Tintin, although a large number of new titles will be taken by free and pay TV channels that have output deals with the studio. Library fare includes the Star Trek movies as well as Friday the 13th, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Beverly Hills Cop.The news of the Spanish Paramount Pictures launch came as parent company Viacom reported first-quarter results. Year on year net earnings in the quarter dropped 65%, taking the total to US$212 million (€161 million). The company blamed the effects of a lawsuit relating to the Rock Band video game and soft ratings at its kids network Nickelodeon for the slump. Overall revenue in the quarter was US$3.9 billion compared with US$3.8 billion a year earlier.
The global TV services market grew by 4.1% last year, according to France-based research group IDATE’s Digiworld Yearbook, published this week.The TV service market totaled €329 billion in 2012 and outperformed the consumer electronics market, which fell 7.1% year-on-year to €260 billion.The top 10 media companies in 2012 were all US-based, led by Comcast – now including NBC Universal – followed by DirecTV, Time Warner, Walt Disney, News Corp, Time Warner Cable, Cox Enterprises, Dish Network, Viacom and CBS.Of the market segments measured by IDATE, only growth in telecom equipment sales outperformed TV services, growing by 7.1% to €330 billion. Telecom services remains much larger by volume however, growing by 2.7% to €1,115 billion.Software and computer services grew by 3.7% to €775 billion, while computer hardware sales grew by 4% to €360 billion.Europe’s digital markets together grew by only 0.1% to €869 billion, according to IDATE, and Europe was outperformed by all other global regions. Africa saw the highest growth, up 8.2% to €176 billion, followed by Latin America, up 5.2% to €272 billion, Asia Pacific, up 3.9% to €913 billion, and North America – which remained the largest single market overall – up 2.5% to €939 billion.IDATE said that it expects the global internet services market to double in size between now and 2016, growing 110% from €158 billion to €332 billion. Overall, IDATE expects core digital markets globally to grow by 16% from €3,169 billion to €3,663 billion.Within internet services, IDATE expects OTT video record the highest growth between now and 2016, followed by paid mobile applications and social networks. The biggest sectors by volume however will be cloud services, search and e-commerce.
US cable giant Comcast has unveiled its own home-built DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem and said it will go into production this year ahead of deployment in 2016.Comcast, which has been a driving force behind development of a number of the cable industry’s next-generation technologies, including the Converged Cable Access Platform (CCAP) and the RDK software bundle for consumer premises equipment, has combined a WiFi router, IP video technology and integrated home automation and security capabilities in the device, according to CTO Tony Werner’s blog posting.Werner said that the Comcast Gigabit Home Gateway could deliver speeds in excess of 1Gbps, thanks to DOCSIS 3.1, and that it would be backward compatible with the DOCSIS 3.0 standard to enable deployment in the near term. The device integrates the PowerCloud home network control and monitoring technology acquired by Comcast in 2014, and also uses the RDK-B open-sourced software developed by Comcast with contributions from companies including Cisco.
POLICE in Strabane are appealing for witnesses following an assault on licenced premises on John Street in Castlederg during the early hours of this morning, Monday, January 1.It was reported that shortly after 1am some form of altercation took place within the premises.Two males, on aged in his 20’s and the other aged in his 30’s, sustained a number of injuries as a result of the incident. Alternatively, information can also be provided to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 which is 100% anonymous and gives people the power to speak up and stop crime.THREE ARRESTED AFTER TWO MEN ASSAULTED IN LICENSED PREMISES was last modified: January 1st, 2018 by John2John2 Tags: ShareTweet Three men, aged 26, 28 and 31, were arrested a short time later on suspicion of grievous bodily harm with intent.Two of the males remain in custody at this time.The 28 year old male has been released on Police bail pending further police enquiries.Police are appealing for anyone who witnessed the incident or anyone with information which could assist with the investigation, to contact officers in Strabane on 101 quoting reference number 160 of 01/01/18. castledergJohn StreetPSNI STRABANETHREE ARRESTED AFTER TWO MEN ASSAULTED IN LICENSED PREMISES