Formula One team bosses have voted Lewis Hamilton as the sport’s top driver for the fourth year in a row but Mercedes team mate Valtteri Bottas slipped to 10th place in the rankings.The poll, published by motorsport.com on Thursday, put four-time world champion Hamilton far ahead of closest rival Max Verstappen.Bottas, winner of three races this year after joining as now-retired 2016 world champion Nico Rosberg’s replacement, was listed in 10th place after bosses awarded points according to the regular F1 scoring system.That represented a drop of one place on where Bottas had been with Williams in 2016.Hamilton scored 233 out of a maximum 250, with Red Bull’s Verstappen on 143. Ferrari’s 2017 championship runner-up Sebastian Vettel, also a four-time champion, was third and Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo fourth.Force India’s Mexican Sergio Perez dropped out of the top 10 entirely but his French team mate Esteban Ocon made his entry in fifth place, one ahead of McLaren’s double world champion Fernando Alonso.Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen and Renault’s Carlos Sainz tied in seventh place with Renault’s Nico Hulkenberg a new entry at ninth.
ST. LOUIS — A day after New York Jets defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson’s four-game drug suspension ended, a judge on Oct. 5 postponed the Pro Bowler’s hearing on charges stemming from his arrest in Missouri this summer following a police chase.The St. Charles County judge delayed the hearing until Nov. 9 at the request of Richardson’s attorney. Richardson completed a four-game suspension Oct. 4 for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy, namely for using marijuana. That suspension came 12 days before his Missouri arrest, which carries a possibility of more discipline because it violates the league’s personal conduct policy.“We are monitoring developments in the case,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said.Richardson, who did not appear in court, has pleaded not guilty to the five misdemeanor charges, including resisting arrest. The 24-year-old former University of Missouri star was arrested July 14 after a chase that began on Interstate 64, where police say he was driving his 2014 Bentley Silver Spur at speeds up to 143 mph with a 12-year-old relative and two other men inside the car. Police said Richardson, who lives in the St. Louis suburb of O’Fallon in the offseason, appeared to be racing with another car.Police say they found a loaded handgun under a floor mat, and a probable cause statement said officers detected a “very strong odor of burned marijuana.” No gun charges were filed because Richardson legally owned the weapon, and prosecutors declined to pursue drug possession or child endangerment counts, citing insufficient evidence.A conviction for resisting arrest is punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000, though Richardson expressed confidence in August that he won’t face jail time — “I really don’t think it’ll go that far, but we’ll see.”Jets coach Todd Bowles said that he hadn’t received word from the league about the prospect of additional discipline. Richardson’s addition to the lineup would only add to the Jets’ strong defensive line, which harassed Miami quarterback Ryan Tannehill during much of an Oct. 4 27-14 win over the Dolphins in London. He was sacked three times as the Jets used aggressive blitz packages.The Jets (3-1), whose defense has forced a league-high 13 turnovers this season, have a bye this week and next play Washington on Oct. 18, which would mark Richardson’s first game this season barring another NFL suspension.Richardson’s return “gives us an extra weapon, some extra depth down there (on the defensive line). I mean, he’s a Pro Bowl player and he’s a heck of a player,” Bowles said. “We’ve got to get him back in football shape and get him back in the rotation and keep moving forward.”Bowles insisted that incorporating Richardson into what has been one of the league’s best defenses this season won’t be an issue: “You don’t have a challenge finding places for good players to play. You just play them.” The Jets would have to clear roster space to make room for Richardson.Richardson was the 13th overall pick in 2013 and was named Defensive Rookie of the Year that season. He played in the Pro Bowl last season.He apologized to the organization and his teammates after the news of his arrest came out, something he withheld from even his parents until reports surfaced on July 30, early in training camp.___By Jim Suhr. AP Sports Writer Dennis Waszak in New York contributedTweetPinShare0 Shares
Four years to go: Qatar on course for its improbable World Cup “Maybe football is a way to build bridges. We have seen as well with the bidding for 2026, the right to organise the World Cup was awarded to three countries [the USA, Canada and Mexico] which I think also don’t have the very best political or diplomatic relationships. But football makes miracles, as we know.”Despite global outrage at Saudi Arabia following the murder of the journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Infantino said that discussions about sharing World Cup matches could help Saudi Arabia “evolve” and have “a nice impact.”“Obviously the relationship with [Qatar’s] neighbouring countries is a factor which is complicating the situation; on the other [hand], even though there are complicated or difficult diplomatic relations, when it comes to football people talk to each other,” Infantino said.Infantino pointed out that despite the blockade Qatari teams were still playing football in Asian Football Confederation competitions against teams from the other countries in the Gulf and wider Middle East.“Be positive about it: we can do something for the world – and for football. It could happen, anything could happen. Let’s take it step by step. Yes, maybe the chances are small but I am a very optimistic person generally, so we will see the situation.”The Qatar “supreme committee” organising the World Cup – which involves the $8bn-$10bn construction of seven entirely new stadiums and one which has been reconfigured is cooperating with a Fifa feasibility study into expansion, but there is little enthusiasm to be found for it in Doha. Saudi Arabia and the UAE led the blockade last June after years of fraught relations over the political positions adopted by Qatar during the Arab spring popular uprisings, and objections to coverage by the Qatari broadcaster Al Jazeera. If it helps football, great. If as a side effect it has more positive effects in the region it’s even betterGianni Infantino on his 48-game plan Share on WhatsApp Qatar Qatar 2022: £40 a week to build the World Cup stadiums World Cup Share on LinkedIn Share on Twitter Topics Share on Facebook Football politics Middle East and North Africa Fifa Read more Share via Email Qataris have publicly rallied around their ruler, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani, and the prevailing mood in the country is that the murder of Khashoggi has shown the world the true repressive nature of the Saudi Arabian regime.Infantino accepts that having some World Cup matches in other countries in 2022 is the likely logical outcome of a feasibility study into expanding the tournament, because to do so purely in Qatar would be practically very difficult.“Qatar is having eight stadiums and preparing for the World Cup of 32 teams; of course you don’t need to be Einstein to find out that it might be difficult to organise [a 48 team tournament] in eight stadiums in one country,” he said. “So you probably have to look to share some of the additional games outside of that country; that brings some additional complications and difficulties of course, and they will be looked at.”Sharing matches, he argues, could help ease hostilities, and despite the outrage at the Khashoggi murder, he did not discount Saudi Arabia being included: “There is certainly no pressure whatsoever on Qatar,” he said.“There is an open and frank discussion. If it is possible, feasible, I am very happy. If not [and the tournament remains at 32 teams], I am very happy in any case. But I would not have been happy if we hadn’t given it a try.“If it helps football, great. If as a side effect it has more positive effects in the region it’s even better, because this region is obviously, especially in the current climate, very important for the whole world.” The Fifa president, Gianni Infantino, is pressing ahead with the proposal to expand the 2022 World Cup from 32 teams to 48, which would mean matches shared among neighbouring countries hostile to the hosts Qatar.In an interview with the Guardian marking four years before the World Cup will kick off in Qatar on 21 November 2022, Infantino acknowledges the chances of it happening are “small”, but emphasised his belief that football can help to heal political hostilities which led last year to Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt enforcing an economic blockade against Qatar. Asked if Saudi Arabia could become a host, he replied: “We need to take into account the geopolitical situation, hoping that matters will evolve, not for football but for the world. And if any discussion around the World Cup can help in any way whatsoever to make the situation evolve in that region, with regard to Saudi Arabia, it’s a nice impact maybe.”Hassan al-Thawadi, general secretary of the supreme committee, responded to questions about expansion by stressing the extensive work Qatar is doing to organise the tournament for 32 teams, as they bid for. Talking to the Guardian in his office in Doha, Thawadi said: “Preparations for a 32-team format, with eight stadiums, state of the art, Fifa compliant” was “progressing very well”.Infantino pointed as an example of football’s ability to promote social progress to the permission in Iran given to women, estimated by Fifa to be 1,000 in a crowd of 80,000, to attend the Asian Champions League final between Tehran’s Persepolis and Kashima Antlers from Japan on 10 November. Women have been banned from stadiums in Iran since 1981, following the conservative Islamic revolution in the country.“I’m not pretending we are doing everything perfectly, by far not,” Infantino said. “We are making a lot of mistakes, but we are trying to work in an honest way.” Gianni Infantino Read more Share on Pinterest World Cup 2022 Share on Messenger Reuse this content
Here’s your chance to meet The Script at an upcoming US show of your choice.A new charity auction benefiting Musicians on Call is giving you the chance to meet the three Irishmen who are as direct – as impassioned – as their songs.The Script’s fourth album, No Sound Without Silence, is the sound of a band firing on all cylinders and channeling the momentum of their last, rocket-powered campaign. They finished touring #3 at the end of last year, took a scant couple of weeks off, then quickly re-entered their studios in London and Dublin.Musicians on Call brings ive and recorded music to the bedsides of patients in healthcare facilities.To make a bid, click here.